Tips for first long-haul flight

Πληροφορίες που αφορούν όλες τις θυγατρικές / Information concerning all subsidiaries
OAL906 Georgios Tsikakis
Name: Georgios Tsikakis
Callsign: OAL906

Tips for first long-haul flight

Post by OAL906 Georgios Tsikakis »

Hello everyone,
PMDG finally released the 777 for MSFS and I am planning to do my first long-haul flight with it. However I do have some questions/worries that can be broken down to the following: How do you manage to stay up/active for the whole flight? Do you go afk for longer than 30 min? Do you disconnect during the flight if you are gone for extended periods of time and is it ok for the ACARS?
Any help and tips is appreciated :)

PS: just realised that I may have posted this on the wrong sub, hope it can be moved otherwise I'll just repost it to the corresponding sub, sorry about that ^^"
OAL575 Fotis Myrintzos
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Name: Fotis Myrintzos
Callsign: OAL575

Re: Tips for first long-haul flight

Post by OAL575 Fotis Myrintzos »

"Do you go afk for longer than 30 min"
If you can monitor the area you are flying for active ATC, or even if you are willing to take "risk", yes you go afk. Or you can arrange to do the flight with a friend or with a group of friends (different a/c of course), and split the afk time. For the next hour you go afk, and your friend monitors the flight, next you monitor and your friend goes to rest. In case of ATC a phone call is all you need.

"Do you disconnect during the flight if you are gone for extended periods of time and is it ok for the ACARS?"
No, that is Not OK with the rules of our VA.
ΟΑL575 Φώτης Μυρίντζος
LGMT
OAL906 Georgios Tsikakis
Name: Georgios Tsikakis
Callsign: OAL906

Re: Tips for first long-haul flight

Post by OAL906 Georgios Tsikakis »

Thanks for the info Fotis, unfortunately I do not have any friend to make a shift during hours where I am possibly vacant ^^"
Though checking the ATC on my phone does sound good. Kinda wish there was something like an app where I could get alerted if i get a pm from an Admin/ATC if i am currently not in the room.