UIAutomationcore torment

Συζητησεις για utilities σχετικά με το FS. / About FS utilities.
OAL403 Dimitris Diamantakos
Name: Dimitris Diamantakos
Callsign: OAL403

UIAutomationcore torment

Post by OAL403 Dimitris Diamantakos »

Dear friends
This one goes out to fellow flight simmers who are also engineers-architects and/or animators and use Autodesk products such as Autocad or 3dsmax.

Having spent a couple of weeks of trying to solve this problem, I thought I shoud share this, as it might save someone lots of trouble.

I am using Win7 X64 Ultimate SP1 and FSX and had replaced for sometime now the UIAutomationcore.dll that comes with win7 with the older Vista version to avoid FSX crashes. Initially I replaced just the file in the FSX folder but since that didn't solve the frequent crashes problem, I went on and replaced the UIAutomationcore.dll files also in Windows\System32 and Windows\SysWOW64 folders. This indeed helped to solve the frequent crashes in FSX, especially when accessing in game menus.

Turns out that tha the latest versions of Autodesk products (I think after 2012 versions) that you want to run on a Windows 7 x64 system use the UIAutomationcore.dll in the Windows folders and they crash on startup because they don't like the older Vista version.

So if you want to run both the latest Autodesk software AND FSX you have to make a compromise and use the new versions of the .dll (File version 7.0.0.0) which makes the FSX crash a bit too often if you are not carefull with accessing the menus.
Alternatively you can do something like what is shown in this video:

Happy Landings
Dimitris Diamantakos
OAL403
OAL109 Mike Ionas
Administrator
Administrator
Name: Mike Ionas
Callsign: OAL109

Re: UIAutomationcore torment

Post by OAL109 Mike Ionas »

Actually there is no need to change the files in Windows\System32 and Windows\SysWOW64 folders as this might cause problems with other programs as you mention (I used to do it as well with the method demonstrated in the video). You only need to put the UIAutomationcore.dll in the main FSX folder. However what the author of the video does not mention is that you need to use a very specific version of the .dll and not any Vista version (in addition to having installed FSX in Program Files which is a no-no under any circumstances). Check this article for the specific version required.